Forums > Ask & Share
Becky Plus Member

Beginner Dressmaking Patterns

hi i'm Becky

I`m autistic and have adhd , i'm also dyslexic and have dyscalculia

i'm looking at making my own clothes and need some easy patterns to follow i want to make trousers,skirts and dresses

does anyone know of any that would be good I hope someone can help me

· 2 months ago
You must have an account to comment or reply on threads - please log in or join the community.
Sort replies by:
SewHayleyJane's avatar
SewHayleyJane Admin

Hi Becky, how do you find learning easiest? Is it helpful if there are video tutorials to follow along with? Or are you happy with written instructions with good diagrams or photos?

· 2 months ago
Becky's avatar
Becky Plus Member

i find videos to follow along with are better for me

· 2 months ago
SewHayleyJane's avatar
SewHayleyJane Admin

Perhaps try Tammy Handmade or Friday Pattern Company as they create free video tutorials for their patterns on YouTube which would be really helpful

Tilly and the Buttons are great for beginners - and I have a video tutorial series on here for the Samara top which is a great first pattern.

https://threadysetgo.com/video-tutorials/samara-top-tilly-and-the-buttons

· 2 months ago
Becky's avatar
Becky Plus Member

thanks hayley will have a look at them

· 2 months ago
Laura F's avatar
Laura F Plus Member

I always find the beginner Tilly and the Buttons really helpful and they hold your hand throughout the makes Becky - this is how I got into sewing - enjoy it, it's a lovely hobby x

· 2 months ago
Becky's avatar
Becky Plus Member

thanks laura will have a look at there website

· 2 months ago
Laura F's avatar
Laura F Plus Member

You often find that there are sewing tutorials for Tilly's makes and I believe Tilly sells sew alongs but don't quote me on that one - good luck x

· 2 months ago
Netty's avatar
Netty Plus Member

Beginner here too. I have recently finished a pattern from Tammy Handmade which was really easy to follow, I would recommend having a look to see if you find it useful. Best of luck x. tammyhandmade.com

· 2 months ago
Becky's avatar
Becky Plus Member

thanks Netty i will have a look

· 2 months ago
Jayne H's avatar
Jayne H Community Member

Hi Becky

I'm also audhd. I like Cashmerette, loads of the patterns have sew alongside and I love that they have different cups sizes for bigger busts. I joined as a club member years ago and they have a library of videos about fitting and how to do tricky things and a ton of patterns you can access as a member free to download.

· 2 months ago
Becky's avatar
Becky Plus Member

thanks jayne h i will have a look at their site

· 2 months ago

Join the community!

Sewing doesn't have to be solitary.

ThreadySetGo is a vibrant and welcoming space for sewists of all ages and skill levels.

It's completely free to get started!

Verify Your Email

Before being able to interact with the community you must verify your email account so we know you're a real human being!